Saturday, July 29, 2006

Let them Eat (Battenburg) Cake

A cake-eating friend of mine wrote to me the other day regarding his favourite cake. And I thought I was obsessed with sugary delights:

While I was drinking tea and munching on Battenburg cake on the phone to you the other day, I wondered where the name came from and if it had anything to do with the Royal House. I looked it up on google:

The History of the Battenburg Cake
The origins of the Battenburg cake begin in Germany in the latter half of the 19th Century and the cake takes its name from the Battenburg Royal Family. It is said that the four quarters of sponge honour each of the four Battenberg princes, Louis, Alexander, Henry and Francis. The cake as we know it today is said to have first been made to mark the occasion of Prince Louis marriage to Princess Victoria of Hesse-Darmstadt.

There you go, some more useless info.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home